The golden years


Now and again I get a bit nostalgic.
Nostalgia for times that are long gone, they could never be revisited or recreated and feel the same. I don't do insightful posts, this is about as close as it's going to get.
Life's all about balance, doing the things you love but also taking responsibilty for yourself and family. Getting on a bit I sometimes I wonder if I tried to be sensible too fast...'proper job', house etc, not that I regret any of these things, but they do force you to be a little bit more grown up, maybe I should've prolonged it for just a few more years!  Gone are the times of  half the year in Aus, summers in the red and yellows working on the beach with friends, surfing at work all in the name of 'training' and generally not having a care in the world. Stress was the odd exam at uni, steady on now.
In reality I'm really not that far removed from it all, (I thank God I'm not holed up in London slaving it out for the man), it's just now and again, today for example, I long to be shipping out carefree for the winter.  It must be that shitty grey day, howling wind and the looming end of BST that's got me mulling. That and the fact that some of my little flock of friends are readying themselves for the winter migration south.

6 comments:

  1. ahh so true.... to have 'that' summer back again...but the fact we didnt know how good it was at the time and that it wouldnt last forever is what made it so good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mine was '06, life couldn't get much better, but you're right, you don't really know it till it's just a rose tinted memory!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 2006 baby -"Summer of love"

    Its now 2010 I'm still there...wishing I had the house and the 'proper job'

    Grass is always greener...

    (Ha, greener)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good things come to those who wait.

    Long time no word Fangle, love ya!

    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. mmmh sprocket holes! That's a great picture : )

    It seems like life is made of seasons, and feelings come and go. Nostalgia is an amazing feeling, because it means we had the chance to live something worth missing and longing for again : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hadn't thought of it like that before, but I like it, great sentiments

    ReplyDelete